1) If my baby is napping and-
A UPS guy bangs on my door, a dog barks (usually mine), telephone rings, or any miscellaneous outside noise occurs-- I react with an all consuming, intense anger I did not know I was capable of having.
Picture The Hulk- but 5 foot 4, not green and I keep my shirt on.
|I totally would rock purple pants though|
2) From angry Hulk to a puddly wuss of emotions-
Since giving birth, I cry. Easily. I am hoping it is hormones since I am still nursing, but other Moms tell me it is here for the long haul. Not that I was a pillar of strength before- I cried when watching a sad movie, anytime the Sarah Mclachlan ASPCA commercial came on tv (Please STOP playing that commercial) and other reasonable scenarios where crying was appropriate.
Fast forward to birth of my daughter...
- Songs on the radio- Pink's song Perfect- one look at Kalia and I cried my eyes out.
- Kalia farts and then laughs- I cry (and giggle a bit).
An Infantry Army wife for 8 years with stories that would and should make others cry, now I cry because of a baby fart. Oh, how my past Army wife self would slap me.
3) Worry- I am not that much of a worrier- I normally worry when there is something to actually be worried about and try not to make up crazy scenarios in my head.
Then I became a Mom. I still am fairly relaxed for a first time mother (so I am told- probably by kind, lying friends) but I worry much more than I ever did. And worry begets worry.
Example- My daughter refused to eat new foods- purrees, chunks, veggies, fruits, etc!!
I envisioned myself nursing a teenager. Then, after a 3 month effort, she- without reason, started eating carrots without spitting them back up. Awesome! Yeay! Celebration!
The celebratory feelings lasted a short time- Now it has been a few weeks and carrots are the only thing she will eat! Mental image of nursing a teenager is now replaced with image of an Oompa Loompa orange baby girl. Sweet.
|Seriously! Scary orange baby!|
4) Two hands are not enough, but my teeth make a great third. Don't tell my dentist (who I no longer have the time to see anyways) but I carry stuff with my teeth all the time now! Baby, purse, keys, cell phone, sunglasses, reusable totes, baby toy, dry cleaning have all been at one time or another carried to the car by my mouth. Well, all except the baby of course, although that would be extremely helpful if it was at all possible.
5) I occasionally speak with a BAD French accent and think it is hilariously funny... This is more along my blog post on Secret Mom Behaviors- Embarrassing Things We do Only Around our Kids. However, I forgot all about this quirky behavior (cuz there are SO many) and would like to include it here.
Every time I feed Kalia her solids (3 times a day) I say all snort, huff french-haughty-like while putting on her bib- "Mademoiselle, are you ready to enjoy your (freaking) carrots" I swear, if Kalia could roll her eyes- she would.
|The look I am going for when feeding her|
What have you learned?